How to apply for Birth & Death Certificate
Important General Information
- Birth or Death certificates can be obtained only if the event of birth or death is registered with the HMC.
- Under the existing rules any event of the birth or death is to be compulsorily registered within 1 year of its occurrence.
- Delayed registration beyond one year of occurrence of birth or death can only be done on the basis of order of District Magistrate, Howrah.
- Births or deaths occurring in places within the area under HMC jurisdiction can only be registered by the HMC.
- Apart from central office HMC & Bally Sub Office HMC as birth registration centers the entire HMC area is divided into 5 birth registration units for administration and the office of the Birth Sub Registrar of each Registration Unit for all births occurring within the respective areas.
Procedure To Obtain Birth Certificates
a) For Birth events occurring in Private Hospitals / Nursing Homes in Howrah
- Birth certificates can be obtained from the concerned office of the Birth Registration Unit after registration, subject to the condition that all birth events are reported in prescribed registration format by the private hospitals /nursing homes within 21 days from the date of occurrence to concerned birth registration office as a mandatory requirement.
- Name of child can be inserted at the time of registration or afterwards by apply in prescribed proforma by the parents or a relative authorised by the parents in writing.
b) For Birth events occurring in Government Hospitals in Howrah
Birth certificate can be obtained from concerned hospital where the event occurred.
c) For Domiciliary birth events
- Domiciliary events of birth shall be reported by the head of family to the concerned Birth Registration Unit for registration within a month but not later than 1 year along with production of medical certificate of birth issued by a Registered Medical Practitioner attended, with relevant documents. After 1 month from the date of birth for registration, 1st Class Judicial Magistrate’s affidavit is required along with relevant documents. Birth certificate can be obtained from the Birth Registration Unit.
- Birth certificates in respect of domiciliary events not reported within one year can be obtained on delayed registration on the basis of order of District Magistrate of Howrah from the HMC Central Office.
Procedure To Obtain Death Certificates
a) In cases when dead bodies are brought to Crematorium or Burial Ground under HMC for disposal -
Death events only in the HMC area are registered in the Crematorium or Burial Ground and death certificates are issued from there.
b) In cases when dead bodies, death events of which have taken place in HMC area are disposed of in place outside HMC area-
Death events are registered in the HMC Central Office, Health Department at 4, M. G.. Road, Howrah – 711 101 and death certificate can be obtained from there on production of copy of certificate of death issued by institution or physician and original cremation certificate.
Non Availability Certificate
If an event of birth is found not registered, a Non-availability certificate can be obtained from HMC Central Office, Health Department at 4, M. G.. Road, Howrah – 711 101 on production of supporting documents like Voter ID card, Educational Record, Ration Card etc.
Birth & Death Certificate
Burning Ghat & Burial Ground
Health Establishments/ Units