Prevention & Control of Vector Borne Diseases
The Vector-borne diseases (VBDs) are a group of communicable diseases transmitted by mosquitoes and other vectors namely Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya, Japanese Encephalitis (JE), Kala-azar and Lymphatic filariasis. The major vector-borne diseases, together, account for around 17% of all infectious diseases (WHO). Since 2014, major outbreaks of dengue, malaria, Chikungunya yellow fever and Zika have noted.
Measures Taken For Prevention of Vector Born Diseases
Prevention of mosquito-borne diseases effectively relies on the support and co-operation of both public and private sectors with the government.
Practicing methods of Vector control
House to House Visit (Active Surveillance)
- Conducting House-To-House survey as per the Schedule of Health & Family Welfare, Govt of WB as well as other days of the month involving health volunteers thorough out HMC area
- Surveillance of fever cases and collection of detailed information of those fever cases whose blood test report is positive for Dengue/Malaria promptly
Regular Vector Control Work
Following “Integrated Vector Control Management” method.
Central Rapid Action Team
- Act on need-based manner.
- Especially skilled to identify and destroy breeding spots of mosquitoes, Larvicidal spray and fogging in indicated cases.
Environmental risk Factor assessment and Management
- Serving notice under section 237(A) HMC Act 1980- process of handing over a legal Notice to the Proprietor/Owner/Resident/etc of a house/factory of an under-construction building/site if mosquito larvae found by HMC Heath department staffs.
- Enforcement of Building Law
- Implementation of Amended HMC Act 159A – process of handing over a legal Notice to the Proprietor/Owner/Resident/etc of a house/factory of an under-construction building/site if probable mosquito breeding sites found by HMC Heath department staffs.
Early diagnosis and Case Management
Seek medical consultation immediately- Falling ill, especially having a fever - you should seek medical consultation promptly at your nearest Health Unit run by Health Department, HMC
- Augmentation of Lab services at all functional UPHCs under HMC.
- All the fever cases attending at UPHC are being tested for malaria through RDK (Antigen based).
- All the suspected Dengue cases are tested through ELISA method at Sentinel Surveillance Lab at 50, Panchanantala Road.
- Referral of the indicated cases at State general Hospitals and District Hospital.
IEC/ BCC Activities
- A central Rally for mass awareness on prevention and control of vector borne disease has been already done on Feb, 2017, 2018 & 2019.
- Distribution of Multi coloured Pictorial Simple, inexpensive print materials (leaflets, booklets, posters, stickers) along with possible “issues & remedies”. Emphasis given on positive behaviour change rather than the negative consequences of current behaviour.
- For Mass awareness of community people, hoarding, banners and flexes was displayed at prominent places, venues & UPHCs..
- Magic shows/puppet shows, Street drama performance at Ward level, public as Magic shows are an effective means to attract children, mother, adult and to promote awareness.
- Tabloo car with IEC material and audio promotion to reach grass root peoples specially the vulnerable populations for generating effective awareness on health issues.
- School awareness camps to generate awareness among students which can percolate deep into the society through behaviour and practices.
- Inter-personal Communication by the HTHS workers throughout the year during the H-T-H visit as this is an ideal campaign method which is sustained over time to foster changes in social and behavioural norms.
- LED display boards at UPHC levels are used to promote health hygiene, health practices, Do’s & Don’ts in case of health emergency etc with the people availing the services at UPHC
- Awareness kiosks – put up at prominent spots within the area of HMC along with micing of awareness audio, distribution of awareness leaflets by IEC workers
- Other awareness initiatives are in pipeline for successful IEC/BCC on VBD
Birth & Death Certificate
Burning Ghat & Burial Ground
Health Establishments/ Units